About the Archive
All of these images were taken by Edwin C Peckham the famous Stroud photographer. He first started trading in 1919 following service in the First World War. Much of his original photographic training had been with LaFayette, the Court photographers of Old Bond Street, London.
The original studio of Edwin Peckham, was beneath the old Picture House, which evenually became Burtons Tailors (standing on the corner of King Street and Merrywalks Precinct). After a year or two, in 1928 the premises in Russell Street were purchased and are still known as 'Peckhams - The County Studio'.
Edwin Peckham traded for 40 years until his retirement in 1959 and was a Fellow of the Institute of British Photographers for 20 years. He became famous for his portaiture and also local views, which were reproduced in thousands as postcards. He left a legacy of more than of more than 60,000 negatives capturing the people, industry and landscapes of Stroud's five valleys.
Please note: All images are strictly covered by Copyright Law